1 week till I book my flights...
21.03.2009 - 21.03.2009
I've decided to set up a blog so that those who don't have facebook (and are interested in my travel plans) can follow my experiences -and importantly, see the photos! [I should warn you all in advance that I'm not much of a writer, but at least you'll get a rough idea of what I'm up to].
Yesterday I decided that I'll give myself a few more days to sort out my trip before booking the flights: I have set myself a deadline however (=27.03.09), so whatever happens, this trip (which I've wanted to do since IB2 (2003!) will finally be a reality in 6 days time (AHHH! Panic, panic...)
My (rough) plans so far are to:
- Fly to Havana on 1 May 2009.
- Start a beginners course in Spanish (80 lessons, 4 weeks) at Universidad de La Habana on the 4th of May
- Begin June: meet up with my friend Elisa (who'll fly to Habana from Mexico?)- probably spend a few more days exploring Habana, then slowly make our way down to Baracoa. This trip will probably take us between 2 weeks - 1 month. Must see places: Veradero, Santa Clara, Trinidad, Camagüey and Santiago de Cuba.
- Begin July: fly to Mexico city (or Cancún). I've not fully researched Mexico yet, but I'll most likely stay in Mexico City mainly due to the unrest in the North. As one of the largest cities in the world (with a population of +20 million!), I'm sure there'll be more than enough to do & see in Mexico City. I'll be staying at Elisa's place during my time there, though I'd also like to go to the Tabasco region, Veracruz, Guadalajara (Mexico's 2nd city), El Tajín...and of course: Tequila (in Jalisco). Other places Elisa has recommended are: Oaxaca city, Morelia, Chiapas, San Miguel de Allende, Mérida, the Tajin ruins and Chichen-itza (one of the seven wonders of the world) . I will try to work out if all these plans fit in my budget and make sense time-wise & logistically, but it all really sounds amazing to me!
- Begin/mid-August: fly to Panama. Rough plans for now are to spend a couple of days in Panama City, before making my way Eastwards to Pedasí (Los Santos), where Maudy lives. Either before, or after this, I also want to go to the Bocas del Toro province (apparently one of the nicest regions in Panama) and attempt to climb Volcán Barú (3474m (11,398ft) high)- not too crazily high, but enough of a challenge for my non-existent fitness level. Apparently you can see both the Pacific and Atlantic ocean from the top on a clear day!
- September: fly back home...
So, that's the rough itinerary so far... now lets hope I get the better of my nerves and actually book it.
Bring on the 27th! :-)